Collections of Policy/Guidance Links
- Healthcare Social Media Policies collected by Ed Bennett of UMMS
- Guidance and Resources links collected by HHS Center for New Media
- Policy Database collected by socialmediagovernance.com (over 175 policies from across many industries – Higher Ed policies are under industry “Government and Non-Profit”; see also industry “Healthcare”)
- 57 Social Media Policy Examples and Resources from SocialMediaToday
- Social Media Policies collected by EDUCAUSE
- Social Media Policy Examples and Resources collected by Jeff Jackson & colleagues for Campus Tech Connection podcast #14
- Fifteen University Social Media Social Media Policies
- 10 Must-Haves for Your Social Media Policy from Mashable
- Corporate Social Media Policy: Top 10 Guidelines from PR Squared/Shift Communications
Individual Policy/Guidance Links
- University Health System (UHS) policy 4.13, “Personal Use of Social Media” (Dec 2010)
- UT Health Science Center Graduate Medical Education (GME) Policy 5.2, “Use of Internet and Social Networking Sites” (May 2010), and a response to it.
- University of Texas at Austin’s Social Media Guidelines; see also “More Guiding Principles for Engaging with Social Media” section of their Directory page.
- MD Anderson Cancer Center’s “Social Networking Use Guidelines” for employees
- Vanderbilt University Medical Center’s Social Media Toolkit
- DePaul University’s Social Media Guidelines
- New Media Standards and Policies from US Dept of Health & Human Services
- Handbook of Journalism: Reporting from the Internet – Reuters. Not healthcare but good advice and applicable to reporting our information.
Helpful Articles/Reports on Social Media Policy/Guidance
- Russell Herder, Ethos Business Law. Social media: embracing the opportunities, averting the risks [whitepaper on the Internet]. Minneapolis: Russell Herder; 2009 Aug. 9 p.
- Hrdinová J, Helbig N. Designing social media policy for government [Internet]. Washington: Brookings Institution Center for Technology Innovation; 2011 January. (Issues in technology innovation, no. 4).
- Eric Schwartzman Social Media Policy Template, written from the organization policy perspective, but has principals relevant to our needs
- Petroff M. Social Media Policy Resource Guide for Higher Ed. dotEduGuru; 2010 October.
Return to Best Practices Guide